Tuesday, March 3

it's kind of tough getting older

I feel like now is as good a time as ever to blog about this past weekend. Oh my goodness.

Ok so ASAP leadership conference.... It was at University of Houston. And we stayed at the Hilton Americas in downtown Houston. An incredible hotel. It had 24 floors, and we were on the 18th! There were so many groups of people staying there, it was crazy.
We were the only group from a private school, much less a Christian school. And it showed. Here are some other schools who were in attendance: Texas Tech, Texas State, UTA, TWU, UTD, UCDavis, UTEP, Utah, New Mexico, Central Arkansas, Southern Arkansas, New Orleans... Ok so please imagine the UC Davis group and the Southern Arkansas group interacting. Probably the most incredible culture block I have ever seen. haha! The Californians were horrified that we had styrofoam cups and plates. The Southern Arkansasians probably don't even realize that there is a green movement going on. I'm sorry, it's true. It was seriously shocking, the way they behaved in public, and the way they gave their presentations, and the way they talked about things. They cussed and screamed innapropriate things on the bus and used PDA in their group presentation. It was so weird.

On Friday night, there was 2 hours of karaoke. To songs like "Baby Got Back" and "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy." This was put on by the university! Oh, ps, UofH has a bar on campus. hah. I really wouldn't have expected the type of dancing and singing by anyone other than drunk middle schoolers. But apparently I have high standards. That night was interesting, to say the least.

I can honestly say that I came away with a HUGE appreciation for Student Foundation and what we do... No other school does everything we do with such success. I also have a new appreciation for Baylor. I have been so blessed to go to the school I do... They give me the responsibility of representing the University by myself to high school students... They provide a nurturing, Christian atmosphere. It really was shocking to see the difference between everyone.

Here is an example of the culture shock I experienced... Our group was sitting in between the UC Davis and Southern Arkansas groups on the bus on the way back to the hotel on Saturday night. The student leader for UofH was telling everyone goodbye and had given club suggestions for anyone who wanted to go party (hah). And he suggested that the Californians tell people about hyphe. I had no idea what hyphe was, and neither did the Southern Arkansas people. So their advisor was like "hey show us hyphe!" to the California group, and a California girl was like "well, I don't think I can... it's a movement..." He replied with, "well then get up and show us!" The California people really didn't know how to respond to that... They were really confused and were trying to figure out how to explain themselves better... All while they are talking to each other, the Arkansas man is saying, "Come on, show us your moves..." Finally, frustraited with the confused, I yelled, "It's a movement, not a move... like the hippies[held up a peace sign]" The Arkansas man says, "oh..." It was hilarious seeing the difference in cultures. haha.

I had a great time with my group. We really got to know each other well. We played loaded questions... That was probably the hardest I have laughed in a long time.

I have decided I don't like the death penalty.

Spring Break next week! 2 tests before then! Ah!

Our great desire is that you will keep on loving others as long as life lasts,
in order to make certain that what you hope for will come true.
Then you will not become spiritually dull and indifferent.
[Hebrews 6:11-12]

I've been thinking a lot about leadership, and what it means to be a real leader, and I was reading in Hebrews the other day, and it talks about how Jesus giving his life made him the perfect leader... and I think that is such a cool description... Jesus is the picture of perfect leadership, because He sacrificed Himself... Isn't that what a leader should be doing? Sacrificing him or herself for those he or she is leading? Leading them by serving them? Putting them first?

Mk... I just need to make it to Friday.

Current playlist:
Lucky-- Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat
Magic-- Colbie Caillat
Older-- Colbie Caillat
Come On Get Higher-- Matt Nathanson
You Found Me-- The Fray
Put Your Records On-- Corinne Bailey Rae
Bubble Toes-- Jack Johnson
Kiss The Girl-- Colbie Caillat
Still Fighting It-- Ben Folds


ps- Kimberly and Allison, I miss you both mucho!

No comments: