Sunday, August 24

abide

School starts tomorrow!! I am so excited! I have History of the South and Greek... I love history, especially American, so I'm not worried about that, but Greek is freaking me out. I already made alphabet flashcards, because I have a quiz on Wednesday! mehhh...

I went to UBC for church this morning. I really liked it. The pastor was talking about Jeremiah 29 and how God called His people who were suffering in exile to stay there and to build their lives there. Despite the pain, and despite His promises of redemption, at that point He called them to plant there, in the midst of it. He talked about how disappointment sets in when we paint pictures in our heads of how our lives should look and then reality doesn't match our ideas. God might tell us to plant and build in our suffering. But He knows the plans He has for us!

I sat at Common Grounds for a couple hours. I love that place, especially during the day when it isn't crowded. I realized that God answered my prayer. Already. I want to feel helpless... like I can't do it at all by myself. I am leading a Bible Study over John 13-17 called "The Upper Room Discourse: 30 Definitions of a Disciple." Matt Lantz led it at the Towers this summer. And this morning at church I had a complete freak out moment, realizing that I wasn't wise enough or capable enough to lead this Bible Study. But I know God has called me to, and people are planning on coming! I really am still kind of freaking out. I don't have anything I can say! I feel like everything would be completely boring or irrelevant or dumb. God told me the exact same thing He said all summer: abide. One of the main things I got out of the Bible Study is that a disciple abides in Christ. Abiding is believing. Abiding is obeying. When I am abiding, I am alive in Christ! He speaks for me! I no longer live, but He lives in me! It doesn't matter that I feel incapable or dumb, because it's not about me, and in my weaknesses, He is strong!

The Lord has been teaching me so much about obeying Him. There are so many things that He has pointed out that He wants me to do that I reeeealllly don't want to even try. But it doesn't matter.

So at CG, as I was pouring over John 15, I was reminded again the importance of obedience:

* "If you love me, obey my commands.
* "Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples."
* "I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me, YOU CAN DO NOTHING. My true disciples produce much fruit... This brings great glory to my FATHER."
* "Remain in my love... When you obey me, you remain in my love. You are my friends if you obey me. I command you to love one another."

He is the vine... branches that do not abide and remain with the vine die. They are useless.

As if that wasn't enough, I started reading through Philippians, and this verse really just blew my mind. I LOVE it.

"And now that I am away, you must be even more careful to put into action God's saying work in your loves, OBEYING GOD WITH DEEP REVERENCE AND FEAR. For God is working in you, giving you THE DESIRE TO OBEY HIM and the POWER TO DO WHAT PLEASES HIM."
(Philippians 2:12-13)

I don't need to worry about not being capable of obedience. He has given me the power to do what pleases Him!! hooray!!

That's really all I got for tonight. I'm sleepy. Here are some pics from today!
lace face
my roomie, rachie!
my other roomie, Alyssa!

Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like You have loved me
Break my heart for what breaks Yours
Everything I am for Your kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity


No comments: