Monday, August 25

Be Joyful Always

I'm tired, so this will be short.

I had my first classes today... should be interesting.

I don't have much to say. Just some quotes and verses I found today.

From Ecclesiastes:

"How wonderful it is to be wise, to be able to analyze and interpret things. Wisdom lights up a person's face, softening its hardness."

"A quiet spirit can overcome even great mistakes."

"Fear God and obey His commands."

"Finishing is better than starting. Patience is better than pride."

I found this passage amusing:
Ecc. 11:9-12:1
"Young man, it's wonderful to be young! Enjoy every minute of it. Do everything you want to do; take it all in. But remember that you must give an account to God for everything you do. So banish grief and pain, but remember that youth, with a whole life before it, still faces the threat of meaninglessness. Don't let the excitement of youth cause you to forget your Creator. Honor Him in your youth before you grow old and no longer enjoy living."

Which leads the poor guy into this:

"It will be too late then to remember Him, when the light of the sun and moon and stars is dim in your old eyes, and there is no silver lining left among the clouds. Your limbs will tremble with age, and your strong legs will grow weak. Your teeth will be too few to do their work, and you will be blind, too. And when your teeth are gone, keep your lips tightly closed when you eat! Even the chirping of birds will wake you up. But you yourself will be deaf and tuneless, with a quavering voice. You will be afraid of heights and of falling, white-haired and withered, dragging along... You will be standing at death's door. And as you near your everlasting home, the mourners will walk along the streets."

shoot daanng.


From Crazy Love (Francis Chan):

"I used to believe that in this world there are two kinds of people: natural worriers and naturally joyful people. I couldn't really help it that I was the worrying kind. I'm a problem solver, so I have to focus on things that need fixing. God can see that my intensity and anxiety are ministry related. I worry because I take His work seriously. Right? But then there's that perplexing command: 'Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!' It's a command for all of us, and it follows with the charge, 'Do not be anxious about anything.'
When I am consumed by my problems-- stressed out about my life, my family, and my job-- I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important that God's command to always rejoice. In other words, that I have a 'right' to disobey God because of the magnitude of my responsibilities... Basically, worry and stress communicate that it's okay to sin and not trust God because the stuff in my life is somehow exceptional. Both worry and stress reek of arrogance. They declare our tendency to forget that we've been forgiven, that our lives here are brief, that we are headed to a place where we won't be lonely, afraid, or hurt ever again, and that in the context of God's strength, our problems are small, indeed."


Lunch in the SUB! Meggie's first day at baylor... The camera loves usFirst phi lamb then camp! hooray!

No comments: