Saturday, November 29

Be The Change

First of all, I just have to take this moment to declare that we are currently beating Texas Tech. In football. Yes. We probably won't win. I don't care. We are ahead now. I love Robert Griffin.

I've been thinking a lot about the saying, "Be the change you want to see in the world." I love this quote. People who complain about situations but do nothing to change them really bother me. The change I see that needs to take place is not in non-Christian communities. It's in the Christian community. Selfishness consumes the church today. People get upset with non-Christians for living selfishly... They have no reason not to live that way. When you worship yourself, of course you are going to be selfish. But when you claim to worship God, there should be no room for selfishness. How can we expect to make a change in this world when, not only do we not live like we have something better to offer, but we live as if we are better than those around us. One thing I love about Matt Chandler's decisions as a pastor is the fact that he refuses to build some super church... He will not add a coffee shop to the church so that the members can build relationships with the baristas at the local starbucks... He won't add basketball gyms so that the guys will go to the local gyms and play basketball and build relationships with the people there. Yeah, they might say bad things... They might not live a way you would want to emulate. So don't emulate them. Show them Jesus with the way you handle yourself. Christians try to build these little utopian societies where everyone loves Jesus and everything is encouraging and no bad words are used. Selfish. I think this is really easy to do at Baylor... There are so many self-proclaimed Christians that anyone who does not agree is shunned.

Something else that just blows my mind about Christian society is the lack of creativity. Why are the majority of Christian movies so bad? Bad quality, bad acting... Christian music, for the most part, is awful. I don't understand... Christians have been given creativity just like non-Christians... I think? The best Christian music is the stuff that doesn't sound like anything else... David Crowder, Derek Webb... Christian music and movies weird me out in general, actually. Something doesn't have to say, "I love Jesus," "Be a Christian or die" to bring glory to our Creator. Do what you were created to do. Please, for all our sake, don't force what you were not created to do...

How does this affect me? I haven't quite figured that out yet. I want to challenge Christians to abide and obey. I am not sure how I will go about doing so, though. All I know is that if I do not love, I might as well not bother.

We are losing again, 14-13... o well. Sic 'em RG.

No comments: